After 20-years in hibernation, the Gold Coast Music Awards has relaunched in 2015 and the competition is already heating up with nominations closing at the end of May.
With over 100 nominations already in play, the awards are shaping up to encompass a dynamic array of talented local musicians and productions, all about to do battle for the prestigious awards over 6 categories (listed below) – winners to be announced in July at a gala event at the Burleigh Brewing headquarters. First up, if you’re part of a scintillating local band, duo, venue or production and want to enter there’s still enough time with nominations closing May 31st – get on to it now though as no nominations will be accepted after midnight on the 31st. Full nomination details are HERE. Judging of the entries will be conducted by a classy selection of independent music industry masters – both the ears and the brains that live and breathe music on a daily basis – with nothing spared in the process of ensuring only those most qualified and experienced in all aspects of music culture and industry were even considered for the role of judge for the awards.
We’ve been told there are some great prizes on offer plus some very slick-looking trophies that have been commissioned in partnership with the SWELL Sculpture Festival.
SWELL Director Natasha Edwards announced that the sculptor chosen to create the master mould for the trophies is Dion Parker. Dion will sculpt the trophy and design a mould that will be used for this year as well as coming years. He will also create a one-off piece of sculpted art for the People’s Choice Award winner. “This artist brings such a unique perspective and we believe will make something special. These Music Award winners will want to have this piece proudly displayed for years to come,” said Natasha. She added about the People’s Choice special design, “We don’t even know what that will look like yet. It will be a unique piece, created by Dion, especially for the People’s Choice winner.”
To then top all of this off, artists and attendees will get the chance to roll on the red carpet (not literally, well if you really want to, and we hear it might actually be purple or iridescent blue or something cool) at the awards ceremony event on Wednesday July 22nd. It’s your chance to go shoulder to shoulder with the Gold Coast’s best soundsmiths and music industry illuminati, and down a few frosty beverages from the best stock at the Burleigh Brewing company. There are standard and VIP tickets available, but book now as numbers are starting to really fill up. There’s less than 50 standard tickets left and we’ve been told it will sell out soon – Full details and to book in to the evening event HERE.
- Band / artist of the year Open to any band or artist active during the eligibility period. By active we mean recording or releasing music or performing live.
- Live music event of the year Open to any live music event which occurred during the eligibility period. A live music event could be a stand-alone gig, a festival or another event for which live music was the primary element.
- Emerging artist of the year Open to any artist or band, of any age and genre, that has been actively recording, releasing or performing music on the Gold Coast during the eligibility period.
- Live music venue of the year This award recognises a live music venue that goes above and beyond to support the Gold Coast’s music scene. The venue being nominated must be located within City of Gold Coast Council boundaries.
- Local music champion of the year Awarded to an individual or organisation who dedicates immense time and effort to championing local music, regularly going above and beyond to support local music and drive its growth.
- Song of the year For songs recorded or released during the eligibility period.