Throwback to Kirra on fire in 1994 for the Billabong Pro, as reported by Brownie’s Coastwatch on the 7 network.
Some interesting points revealed in the video below about the period –
- Slater had hair and was known equally as a ‘Hollywood star’ at the time
- Rabbit was still a grom (well he kind of will be forever) and was calling the best Kirra ever … again
- Tom Carroll was calling it his last ever professional comp
- Donavon Frankenreiter was labeled as ‘little known’ and with an ‘unusual name’
- Tom said his performance was inspired by Neil Purchase Jnr (At the time we don’t think there was a single surfer that Neil didn’t inspire)
- The famous ‘Kirra Point Sux’ sign was rocking, as was the infamous pre-jetski ‘back of the motorbike’ assist system
Featuring the absolute cream of the best surfers on the planet at the time including Munga, Donavon Frankenreiter, Rob Machado, Tom Carroll, Grant Frost, Kelly Slater, Martin Potter, Mitch Dawkins, Wayne Deane, Richard Marsh, Chris Brown, Kaipo Jaquias, Sunny Garcia and more. Great clip from a timeless era in competitive surfing history.